Colegio de Santa Isabel
In 1594, the Hermanidad de la Santa Misericordia was established with the expressed purpose of aiding the Hospital de San Juan de Dios. Later, the brotherhood took on the burden of being the patron of a school founded in 1632 for the daughters of military personnel who died without any inheritance to give. The college was initially housed in a private residence until a lot was found near San Agustin, along Real del Palacio corner of Recogida.
In 1733, the college received Royal protection. In 1800 the college boasted of capacious and sumptuous buildings. Damaged by the 1863 earthquake, the school was rebuilt. The following year administration transferred to the Daughters of Charity and in 1866 the Colegio de Santa Potenciana was merged with it. In 1882, the offices of Monte de Piedad were opened in the college building.
Because of the numerous donations and endowments, the college was perhaps the most important institution for women. In its first century of existence more than 3000 “isabelinas” passed through its portals. Under the Daughters of Charity the school was modernized, achieving a level similar to that in Spain.
In 1945, the college buildings were completely destroyed. The sisters transferred the school to a new site along Taft Ave. where it continues in its task of education. The ancient college had a miraculous crucifix called Cristo del Tesoro, because it belonged to the Royal treasury, the crucifix is in the chapel of the modern school edifice.
About this entry
You’re currently reading “Colegio de Santa Isabel,” an entry on Intramuros
- February 18, 2007 / 5:26 pm