The Walls

The walls of Intramuros were built over time. The first walls were nothing more than a palisade reinforced with earth. But in 1595, Gov. Perez de Dasmariñas began fortifying in earnest using adobe and mortar. Work on the walls was sporadic after it had completely enclosed the city: repairs, improvement on design especially in the 18th century. The final piece, a gate in honor of Queen Isabella II, was built in the late 1800s.

Advertisements

About this entry