Colegio de Manila
Aka Colegio de San Ignacio: Established by the Jesuits in 1595 for the children of the Spanish community in Manila. The school opened its door to students in 1596. The college building, described as sumptuous and beautiful was damaged by the earthquake of 1645. The building was apparently repaired a number of times, following for instance another earthquake in 1658. With the expulsion of the Jesuits in 1768, the college was dissolved and its buildings sequestered by the government. The archbishop of Manila requested to use the building and the adjacent church for the Seminario de San Carlos in 1771. In 1784, the seminary finally occupied the buildings. Earthquakes damaged the building and the adjacent church in 1852, 1863 and 1880. The seminario was relocated to the Vicentian house in San Marcelino.
The college and church site was taken over by the military and became the Cuarteles de España. What ever remained of the ancient building was razed in 1900 when the American 31st Infantry took over from the Spanish. The church site became a basketball court for soldiers.
The college building was built around an atrium and rose to three stories in some parts. In the college was the Imprenta de la Compañia, responsible for publishing the first Tagalog pasyon, the 1734 Map of Pedro Murillo Velarde, and the dictionaries of Mateo Sanchez and Juan de Noceda and Pedro de San Lucar. Here too Bro. Georg Kamel (1661-1706), noted for his botanical studies, kept a garden of Philippine flora.
The site is presently occupied by the Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila.
About this entry
You’re currently reading “Colegio de Manila,” an entry on Intramuros
- February 18, 2007 / 5:56 pm